Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Marathon helps Eve Overton honor late grandfather, a lifelong athlete

Eve Overton, of Berkeley, Calif., is running the New York City Marathon in tribute to her maternal grandparents, who passed away from multiple myeloma.

Eve never met her grandmother, who died at 51 from myeloma. Her grandfather was diagnosed with myeloma in February and passed away in April.

"I believe that if someone like me, who has seen how horrible this illness is, doesn't get involved with the fight against it, how can I expect others to care?" she said.

Eve signed up for the marathon, which will be her first, after her grandfather's diagnosis. He was a talented, lifelong athlete who was proud of his grandchildren's athletic endeavors.

"My training has allowed me to set aside time to grieve and remember him. I feel a close connection to him as I prepare for race day," Eve said.

No comments:

Post a Comment